Rebuilding davidosomething.com as a static site

Handlebars + Markdown + Metalsmith static site generation

I've rebuilt my website from the ground-up for the new year, finishing it just in time. This site is now fully static, templates in Handlebars syntax and posts written in Markdown are combined into plain old HTML, where WordPress and PHP were previously providing the templating and storing the post formatting as HTML in a database.

The new stack

  • Replaced PHP templating with Handlebars
  • Replaced WordPress serving with Metalsmith generation
  • Replaced MySQL storage engine with Markdown files in git

There is no more ruby dependency since I am using node-sass instead of ruby-sass and sass-lint instead of the scss-lint gem.

JS-wise I am using es2015, but not really using any of its cool features except arrow functions and dynamic templating. Metalsmith uses generators, so it requires either node version 4.2+ or 0.12 with the harmony flag on; I opted to use node v4.2.

Migrating from WordPress

There was a brief period of time where I secretly added a query parameter to the WordPress version of this site which would cause it to spit out the raw contents of each post as plain text. I only had 40 posts so it wasn't a big deal to grab each one and reformat them into Markdown using an HTML to markdown converter. I output the post meta data into YAML format above each post and saved it out as the frontmatter for each new markdown file.

The interim scripts I used to clean up the PHP to HTML to Markdown files are left in the github repo in bin/. It's one of the few times I've ever decided to use PHP from the command-line, and also the only PHP in the repo.

SEO

Getting rid of WordPress meant that I would have to do a lot of plugin-provided SEO work myself. I've fully marked-up this site using schema.org Microdata. I prefer that over JSON-LD since it is more specific regarding which DOM node represents an entity. Twitter cards, OpenGraph tags, standard meta tags and site validation are all trivial in comparison to the verbosity of Microdata.

Templating

I redid the HTML templating with Handlebars, which is amazingly clean compared to jumping in and out of PHP tags. If you're doing that in WordPress, consider using twig or something - I really don't know how anyone can live like that.

Setting up Metalsmith

Metalsmith is like gulp in that it is pretty much just a task runner. Or maybe it is more like broccoli in that it works on a directory (tree) rather than on a stream.

You give Metalsmith the path to your markdown files (or any files), and then tell it to use(someplugin()), which will transform those files. This is not exactly a functional map operation, but it works similarly, and the plugins basically provide a function that serves as the map iteratee.

Despite Metalsmith providing its own CLI tool and being capable of running Gulp plugins, I opted to use it as a JS module from within Gulp. It's just easier to remember gulp html to generate my html since it is mentally the same as gulp css and gulp js for those respective build steps. Also my CSS task actually operates on two different streams so it was worth keeping Gulp around.

Future plan

I'm looking to switch to gatsby -- a react based static site generator. Basically all this does is use react templating instead of handlebars, and uses react's output to static html to generate the file. Converting handlebars templates to react is trivial (it is practically just wrapping the handlebars template in some React code) and this will have the added bonus of hot-reloading for previewing posts.

Open source

The site source is on github. Kinda nice that there's nothing to hide (database pws, dot-env files, whatever), now that there's no backend.